How to make the perfect patty -
1. Make mounts - divide 2.5lbs ground meat into 8 mounds [about 5 oz]. Loosely shape into balls
2. Shape disks - using your hands, gently flatten balls into .75in thick patties, but don’t overwork the meat [doing so makes it tougher]. Smooth patty edges with your fingers.
3. Press centers - place patties on a flat surface. Using your thumbs, press in the centers of patties to make deep indentations. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
How to roast perfect marshmallows-
1. Choose your skewers - long hardwood sticks are best. Avoid wood from resinous trees like pine; they release sap when heated.
2. Perfect the placement - push skewer all the way through 1 or 2 marshmallows, leaving 1in empty at the tip to keep them from sliding off.
3. Go low and slow - a low burning fire is best. Slowly rotate marshmallows on skewer 2in away from heat source for 45 seconds.
4. Coo it down - like em well done? Let them catch fire for 10 seconds, blow out and cool 30 seconds. Never shake to extinguish.