Thursday, September 5, 2024

Book Review - Nobility in Small Things: A Surgeon's Path by Craig R. Smith, M.D

 


Nobility in Small Things: A Surgeon's Path by Craig R. Smith, M.D is a biography about a noted heart surgeon. Dr. Smith talks about his upbringing and how his unexpected jobs in his youth paved the way for him to be the doctor that he is now.  Dr. Smith was made famous during the COVID pandemic as he wrote encouraging emails to the staffers to help inspire them during a trying time.

I wasn’t familiar with Dr. Smith before reading the book. I can see how the book could be encouraging and motivating to some people. I felt like he was a bit pompous and full of himself. I feel like as he is looking back, he realizes how lucky he was because of certain privileges that were extended to him because of personal connections.  I liked reading about his cases and how he felt. But some parts of the book were just dragging, and I didn’t care to read about them. It was interesting to see how much the hospital did get paid but the number of details that were included wasn’t needed in my opinion. I was more than 90% done and I decided that I was no longer interested in reading more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment