The Intergalactics by Erik Jon Slangerup is about a group of mutant children who crash on a distant land.
Brinx, like his friends, wasn’t born; he was created in a lab. He is one of many gene-spliced, vat-grown experiments living on Base Lab 9. He has never left the lab and spends his entire life surviving the tests his creator forces him to endure. He is patiently waiting for the day that he reaches 1,000 passes so he can be transferred to the Graduation Center. He doesn’t know what is waiting for him there because no one has ever come back from there, but he feels that it has to be better than his current life.
Brinx and his best friend, Jang, barely manage to finish their final test. Afterwards, he and the others who passed board an armored transport vessel that is going to take them to the Center. However, things go awry when the vessel is destroyed by a meteor shower, leaving Brinx and the survivors stranded. During the collision, Brinx and Jang get separated, and Brinx is desperate to find his way back to his friend. Will Brinx be able to survive and find his friend?
I found the novel to be an okay read. I thought the author could have done more explaining and worldbuilding. The slang the characters used was confusing, and some of it was explained much later. For most of the book, I had no idea if they were happy, sad, or disappointed, or even what they were saying. I also wish the author had gone into more detail about why they were creating hybrids and for what purpose.
I didn’t really connect with any of the characters, and I wished the book was a bit more humorous. However, I did enjoy reading about Brinx and his fellow hybrids working together and growing as a group. I would be open to reading more books by the author.
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and were not influenced by the publisher or author.

No comments:
Post a Comment