Sunday, August 23, 2026

Book Review - Adventure in the City of Stories by Emma Otheguy

 

Adventure in the City of Stories by Emma Otheguy is about three cousins who must help prove their aunt’s innocence after she is falsely accused of stealing an artifact.

While hanging out at their aunt’s house, cousins Jorge, Camila, and Siggy discover dusty old puppets and a book. They soon discover that the book and puppets once belonged to Pura Belpré, a trailblazing Latina librarian and storyteller. Their aunt has been accused of stealing the artifacts, so the cousins must travel back to 1930s New York to return the puppets and book and prove that their aunt didn’t steal them.

As the trio travels back in time, they realize that danger is lurking around every corner. A powerful woman wants to steal the book, while their nosy neighbor is hot on their heels. While trying to find a safe place to hide the artifacts, the trio meets Antonia, a young Puerto Rican girl who is fighting against the injustice and stigma faced by her community.

This is the second book in the series. Like the previous book, I thought this was an okay read. I felt like it was missing something that would have gotten me truly invested in the story. The writing felt a bit dry, and the characters seemed wooden. I wasn’t able to connect with any of them.

I did like that the author showcases different aspects of Latin culture and history that might not be well known. I also liked that the book includes a glossary and additional information at the end. However, I would have liked to see translations for the Spanish words. I think this would have been a great way for young readers who aren’t familiar with Spanish to learn some new words.

While this is part of a series, it can be read as a standalone. I did like that the book introduces a larger mystery that could continue throughout the series. I was feeling a bit lackluster about the series, but I might give the third book a chance before deciding whether to continue with future installments.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and were not influenced by the publisher or author.

No comments:

Post a Comment