Monday, July 11, 2022

Book Review - Honor by Thrity Umrigar

 

Smita is an Indian American journalist who is reluctant to return back to India after she and her family left years ago. She returns after a close friend had requested her help with a story. She follows the case of Meena, a Hindu woman who was attacked by her village and family because she married a Muslim man. 

Smita struggles to deal with a society where traditions are held to the highest regard. As she reports on Meena's story, Smita's own story that she kept buried for years is revealed. Smita tries to help Meena while she finds herself attracted to Mohan, an Indian man she met through a friend.

I actually didn't read the blurb before getting this book because I would have been tempted to skip over the novel. I am very glad I didn't because it was an enlightening and poignant read. I find myself agreeing with Smita on her views of Indian culture and traditions. When I was reading the novel, I found the same ideas and thoughts I had was shared by Smita. However, I can't say I loved her as a person as she could be annoying at times. For example, she wanted others to trust and open up to her but, she was very hesitant to share even the most basic information about herself. Then she would complain how she didn't have any close connections with anyone. Overall, the book was endearing and heart wrenching read. I can't wait to read more books by the author.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment