Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Book Review - The Memory Keeper's Daughter: A Novel by Kim Edwards

 

 
In a late winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry is forced to deliver his own twins in Lexington, Kentucky. His first child, a son, is born perfectly healthy. David notices that their second child, their daughter is born with Down syndrome. He decides that he needs to protect his wife, Norah, from heartache and makes a split second decision that will alter their lives forever. 
 
He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the child to an institution for children like her and to keep the secret from his family.  Caroline feels conflicted on David's choice and instead, she decides to keep the child for herself. 

I wanted to love this because the description and summary was so spellbinding. However, I was more than 40% into the book before I lost interest. and stopped reading. The story just plodded long with boring details and unnecessary filler. I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters and I wasn't invested in learning what happened to them. This book is a good reminder why I shouldn't pick up books by the title and cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment