Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Book Review - The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky

 

The rules are simple when it comes to horror movies. You should avoid abandoned areas at all times, never split up, and if there is a murderer on the loose, be careful of who you hang out with. However, if only real life was this easy.

After a tragic experience, new girl Rachel Chavez likes to watch horror movies for comfort. She prefers watching movies than dealing with the rich kids of Manhattan Prep and  her past trauma.

Rachel comes across a club called the Mary Shelley Club, which is a secret society of students who love watching horror movies. The club hosts Fear Tests that are elaborate pranks that are inspired by movie and urban legend tropes.  At first, Rachel loves the idea and the power that comes with pranking other students. However, as the Fear Tests progress, the competition becomes deadlier and Rachel realizes this is one game she can't afford to lose.

I thought the book was a unique and entertaining read. I can't say that I liked any of the characters or liked how Rachel reacted towards the end. However, I was interested in how things will play out.  I didn't care for the romance portion of the book as it was mostly Rachel following any guy who showed her affection. I also didn't like that she kept trying to be a part of something when other people made it obvious they didn't want her there. I did wish that horror portion of the book took place a bit earlier. I felt like during the middle of the book, it was a quiet lull without much going on. The story was an entertaining read and I look forward to reading more books by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment