Saturday, June 11, 2022

Book Review - The Darkest Secret by Alex Marwood

 

Twelve years ago, three-year-old Coco goes missing during her father's fiftieth birthday celebration. She leaves behind her identical twin, Ruby as the only witness. Their father, Sean, is a wealthy and influential real estate developer and his friends gather at his seaside vacation home for a weekend of fun.Coco going missing causes a media frenzy and it changes the lives of everyone at the party forever.

Sean has passed away and everyone who was present during the night of Coco's disappearance, come to pay their respect. One thing becomes clear that the secrets of the past will be revealed as the night progresses.

I thought the book had an interesting premise but, I didn't really care for any of the adult characters. I felt like most of them were terrible people and did whatever they wanted without caring about anyone else. I felt like the book did move slowly and had a lot of unnecessary details but, left some of the more pressing questions unanswered. The author hinted about Sean's and Linda's death but, were they connected? I also didn't care for the ending, I felt like it was rushed and abrupt. I didn't like that there was a lot of references to pop culture or the government that some readers wouldn't understand if they weren't familiar with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment