Thursday, March 7, 2013

New Beauty Winter - Spring 2013 Northeast Volume 9 Issue 1




I first saw this magazine on display in one of those newsstands in the subway. I started a subscription shortly after because the articles are in-depth and it read a bit like a manual. My only qualm is the yearly subscription is a bit expensive. But I consider it an investment...or atleast thats what I like to tell myself. A word of note, the last couple of end pages are extensive profiles of various doctors.

Here is the rundown -
The magazine had a taste of luxury piece. I had skim through this as I can’t really afford most of it. But I like to daydream the day I can. Some of the product highlights -

Glassbaby’s Evelyn Candle Holder - in tribute  to Evelyn Lauder.  Ten percent of purchases will be donated to Breast Cancer Research Foundation. [$44]

Creed debuted a monogrammed hand blown Pochet glass bottle accented with the precious metal. Sounds amazing if you have $1,995 to plunk down.
Photo Credit - Creed Boutique

They had a segment on long lasting makeup for eyes, cheeks, lips and face. For eyes,  Smashbox 15 Hour Wear Cream Shadow, Bobbi Brown Intensifying Long - Wear Mascara and Nars Larger Than Life Long - Wear Eyeliner. Reading the blurb for Smashbox shadow it look like a normal cream shadow which usually creases and fade easy. I did hear  a lot of good things about the Nars eyeliner and can’t wait to try it.  

Photo Credit - Nars Cosmetics

For the cheeks, Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder, Lorac Pro Powder Cheek Stain and  Laura Mercier Creme Cheek Color. I actually have the Laura blush but to be quite honest I am not really good at applying blush. Even though, I do have like 10 different blushes. I am surprised though Tarte’s Amazonian Blush didn’t make it on the list [I have that one as well :)] 

Photo Credit - Sephora

For the lips, Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12 - Hour Lipstick, Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick [ I have this maybe I should give a try ], Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick  [ I have this but it didn’t last me all day! I feel jipped!] and Covergirl Outlast.

Photo Credit  - Sephora

For face, Chanel Correcteur Perfection Concealer,  Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H Foundation and DiorSkin Forever Wear - Extending Invisible Retouch  Powder. Another thing I can’t do properly. I recently bought some new foundation and powder but after experimenting  with it for awhile I still haven’t gotten any better.
Photo Credit - Lancome
 I love  how in-depth beauty awards section was. Instead of having just a category for “lipstick”, they take it one step farther and have a category “The Best Moisturizing Lip Gloss” and “The Best Mineral Lip Gloss”. It was quite an extensive list and I saw a lot of new products I can’t wait to try. Like the Dior DiorShow Extase, Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment and a bunch of other products. I feel real sorry for my bank account right now.
Photo Credit - Sephora


I love the bit on mineral water. While I love New York City’s tap water, I am not going to lie I love bottle water too *cover eyes*. I never realized there was an actual difference between still, mineral,  artesian, and thermal water. This article explains the difference and gave recommendation which brands of  bottled water is good to try and products infused with “specialty” water . Mineral water for example helps alleviate skin issues, helps refresh skin [so, can taking a bath/shower], can be used as post treatment care from a chemical peel, and takes down redness. Mineral also helps balance the electrolytes, replenish minerals that is lost naturally.  Some of recommendations -- Fiji water [love this brand!] which is packed with silica, Smart Water which is vapor distilled and enhanced with electrolytes.  Is anyone else thirsty or is just me?

The article about age fighting antioxidants was pretty informing.  “Antioxidants offer up numerous health benefits but are best - known for their ability to nurture cells and fight against potentially harmful diseases”. Berries, beans, dark greens, teas, fruits and nuts are packed with antioxidants. Berries are good for “repairing free- radical damage” and nuts are “good source for omega-3s”. Some good products to try ilike Botanical AHA peel, Aveda Green Science Perfecting Cleanser  and Perricone Face Finishing Moisturizer. 
Photo Credit - Perricone


Pick up the issue to read --  tips on makeup application, more winners of the beauty awards, new hairstyles, organic skin care, new innovated products  and exercises.

Please leave any comments and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment