Sunday, January 24, 2021

Book Review - A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

 

The Barrett family lives in suburban area of New England. They were like any other "normal" family until their fourteen-year-old daughter, Marjorie starts displaying signs of acute schizophrenia. Her parents try to help Marjorie as best as they can. They take her to a therapist but, it doesn't seem to be working. Instead, Marjorie progresses further into madness, and their entire household is turned into chaos. The desperate family turns to a local Catholic priest for help.

Father Wanderly suggests that the family perform an exorcism because Marjorie might be a victim of demonic possession. He also contacts a production company who will document the Barretts' plight. John, Marjorie's father, has been out of work for more than a year and Marjorie's doctor bills are rapidly growing. The family agrees to be filmed, and they find themselves to be stars of a hit reality show, "The Possession". However, as the show's popularity increases, a tragedy occurs and the show and the Barrett family become known as an urban legend.

Fifteen years later, Merry, Marjorie's younger sister, is being interviewed by a bestselling writer. Merry tries to recall the events that happened when she was just eight years old. Merry discloses secrets that were forgotten and painful memories that clash with what was filmed on television.

I am not sure I was a fan of this novel. I found parts of the novel interesting and entertaining. However, I hated the blog posts that began each section. I found then irritating and redundant to read. I actually ended up skipping them but, I feel like that causes me to miss part of the story. However, I didn't care enough to actually go back to read it to find the missing parts. I didn't care for any of the characters in the book and found some parts of the book to be boring filler. This book was a complete miss for me as I kept expecting more and it didn't deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment