The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz Williams is about a woman, Vivian Schuyler, whose life is turned upside down when a mysterious suitcase belonging to her long-lost aunt is delivered to her.
In Manhattan in 1964, Vivian Schuyler had just graduated from Bryn Mawr College. She wants something different from the life her privileged socialite parents envision for her. Rather than settling into the expected role, Vivian dreams of becoming a journalist and chasing noteworthy stories. When she receives a bulky overseas parcel in the mail, her life takes an unexpected turn. As she investigates the suitcase and its contents, she discovers it may be connected to a dark chapter in her family's history. The suitcase belonged to an aunt she never knew, a woman whose existence is rarely discussed because she was rumored to have committed a crime of passion against her husband before fleeing with her lover.
In Berlin in 1914, Violet Schuyler Grant is trapped in a loveless marriage to Dr. Walter Grant, a scientist decades older than she is who openly cheats on her. Violet tolerates the marriage because it provides her with security and allows her to pursue her work as a female physicist in his laboratory. Things begin to change when one of Dr. Grant’s charismatic former students comes to stay with them for the summer.
Lionel Richardson, a captain in the British Army, quickly becomes enamored with Violet and urges her to leave her husband and escape Germany as the threat of war looms. As Violet spends more time with Lionel, she finds herself drawn to him. However, as their relationship deepens, she uncovers truths that complicate everything she thought she knew. Will Violet be able to leave her husband, find her freedom, and escape before war descends upon Germany?
The book is told through dual timelines and narrators. I was excited to read it because I had previously enjoyed two other books by the author. Unfortunately, I found this one to be an insipid waste of time. I don't think Vivian's storyline was necessary, as it added very little to the overall story. I also found her unrealistic and overly privileged, especially with some of the situations she found herself in. The number of men who seemed willing to throw themselves at her or do whatever she wanted simply because she was attractive became increasingly annoying.
I think I would have enjoyed this book much more if it had been significantly shorter and focused solely on Violet's story, with perhaps an epilogue showing her reconnecting with her family. Violet had her own issues as a character. I struggled to understand why a woman portrayed as intelligent and capable would continue to stay with a husband who openly flaunted his affairs in front of her and their friends.
One of my biggest pet peeves was the way the diary entries were written. Names and certain descriptions were abbreviated or hyphenated rather than spelled out. It became frustrating trying to guess what the writer was referring to. I don't think it was done to keep the book clean, considering it contains profanity and detailed sex scenes. The choice to abbreviate and obscure parts of the diary felt unnecessary, pointless, and ultimately more irritating than intriguing. Much like the book itself, it felt like a gimmick that added little to the overall experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment