Surrendered by Chang-rae Lee is about three people who are connected by love, war, and the things they have lost.
June Han was only eight years old when the Korean War left her an orphan. Hector Brennan enlisted to escape his small town and serve his country. After the war ends, the two meet at a Korean orphanage, where they both find themselves drawn to Sylvie Tanner. Sylvie is the beautiful wife of a missionary, but she harbors dark secrets from her past. Despite her own burdens, her kindness and compassion seem to transform the lives of everyone around her. Thirty years later, in America, June and Hector are brought together once again and are forced to confront their shared past and the secrets that have bound them together for decades.
The novel follows three main characters and alternates between the past and present. I really wanted to read this book because the premise sounded very interesting. Unfortunately, I found it incredibly boring, and the plot moved at an extremely slow pace. Just as I would start settling into one character's story or a particular time period, the narrative would switch to someone else. The constant back-and-forth made it difficult for me to stay invested in either the story or the characters.
I ended up reading more than half of this hefty novel before realizing that it didn't seem to be building toward anything meaningful. At that point, I felt comfortable putting it down because I wasn't invested enough to care how the characters' stories ended. I think I would have enjoyed this book much more if it had been shorter, tighter, and focused more on moving the plot forward.

No comments:
Post a Comment