Rain Falling on Embers is about a young girl, Katie McCabe, whose life is turned upside down when her father sends her to live with relatives.
Thirteen-year-old Katie is known as a troublemaker in her community. Rebellious and headstrong, she often finds herself in trouble. After her latest prank nearly burns down a neighbor's shed, her father, the town sheriff, decides to send her away. He believes it is the best decision, especially as his health is declining and it is becoming increasingly difficult for him to manage Katie on his own.
Katie is sent to live with her uncle and three cousins. She struggles to find her place in her new home and longs to return to her father. Just when she begins to think she might be able to go home, she receives devastating news: her father has died, and she never got the chance to say goodbye. Feeling lost and as though she no longer has a place to belong, Katie tries to adjust to her new life. Along the way, she crosses paths with the son of the man who owns much of the town. Tensions escalate, and one day Katie is kidnapped, taken on horseback to the outskirts of town during a storm, and left to find her way back. Will she be able to survive the storm and make it home?
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started this book, but ultimately I found it to be a boring and underwhelming read. I was also never entirely sure what time period the story was supposed to take place in. Everything felt antiquated and quaint, which made the setting somewhat confusing.
I also felt that the summary gave away several major plot points that would have had more impact if I had discovered them while reading. The story moved at a slow pace and often felt like it was plodding along without much happening. The ending was left on a cliffhanger, which seemed designed to set up the next book in the series. However, I felt the main story could have been resolved within this installment.
One of my biggest frustrations was Katie herself. The book repeatedly hinted at the significance of the McCabe name and why she disliked it so much, yet readers are never given a satisfying explanation. I also found Katie to be an difficult protagonist to connect with. At times she acted much older than her age, while at other times she seemed immature. She frequently complained that nobody trusted or cared about her, yet her actions often gave those around her reasons to question her behavior.
I was also puzzled by how unaware Katie seemed of her father's declining health. His death felt abrupt and somewhat out of nowhere, which lessened its emotional impact for me.
The novel hints at a long-standing conflict between the McCabes and another family, but that story line is never developed. Likewise, the author suggests that Katie's cousin Sarah is hiding a secret, but readers are given little information about what it might be. I assume both plot threads are intended for future books, but I found it frustrating that so many mysteries were introduced without meaningful development.
I felt the book contained a lot of filler, bland characters, and too few engaging moments to keep me invested. I would have preferred more character development and stronger story lines rather than numerous hints and mysteries that never fully materialized. While the book clearly aims to set up future installments, this first book did not leave me eager to continue the series.

No comments:
Post a Comment