Friday, December 16, 2022

Book Review - Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

 

Under the right conditions, children can disappear and end up in a new magical place. Like most children who went to a magical place, Nancy came back a changed person and she is eager to return back. Nancy joins Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children to cope with her current situation and to find a way back home. When Nancy joins the other kids at the home, there is a darkness around the corner. A tragedy strikes that makes the home no longer safe for anyone.

I thought the book had an interesting premise. I was able to guess the mastermind behind the murders pretty quickly. However, I felt that the book was missing something to make it "great". I found the writing and the characters to be flat and choppy at times. I understand that the author wanted to be inclusive in her writing but, it seems like most her of characters were "different" and that was their main trait instead of being another facet of them. The book had tons of potential but, felt flat to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment